Your baby has finished his Bib 'and hop ... this is a small rejection of milk. This is commonplace and it happens almost in all babies. This rejection occurs with the burp, in the middle of the feed, at the end of the meal, or half an hour later. It can be more or less important, without being worrying or annoying your baby.
What if he rejects milk?
- Moms often worry about the acid smell of the rejects and their consistency of curd. Again, nothing disturbing: digestion begins very quickly in the stomach and produces gas. What to do ? Especially nothing in the immediate future. Be patient. Very often, the transition to semi-solid food and the acquisition of the sitting position improve the situation.
And if he regurgitates a lot, repeatedly and for a while?
- Start by watching your baby. If he drinks his bottle greedily, but in the middle or at the end of meal, squirms in all directions, visibly uncomfortable, it is probably a reflux. He suffers from acid reflux from the stomach causing a burning sensation in the esophagus. In babies, the system of closing the stomach is imperfect. There is no sphincter in the cardia (transition between the esophagus and the stomach) and reflux may occur.
- For confirmation, the pediatrician will perform a Ph-metry to check the acidity of the lower esophagus and fibroscopy (it provides information on lesions and can make the diagnosis of inflammation of the esophagus). The treatment combines an antispasmodic medicine, the thickening of the bottles, and two other "potions": one performing a bandage on the lining of the esophagus, the other neutralizing the acidity of the stomach. It must be continued for several months. The passage of milk particles in the airways may favor small infections. Sleeping on a more or less inclined plane, according to the importance of the reflux, can be recommended.
How to distinguish between vomiting and a simple rejection?
- The first is characterized by its abundance. It has multiple origins: it can be due to a fast feeding in a gluttonous baby, to a food overflow, following a big effort ... It also accompanies often the infantile infections: if your baby has a rhino-pharyngitis, it may vomit because he swallowed phlegm. In all these cases, be sure to rehydrate with small amounts of liquid.
- Exceptionally, vomiting reveals an abnormality of the stomach; this is the case of pyloric stenosis. It often concerns the little boy, who, from 2-3 months, vomits a lot, does not gain weight, loses sometimes, but remains lively and very hungry. If the diagnosis is confirmed by X-ray or ultrasound, a very simple surgical procedure can widen the pylorus.
- More frequent is the plication of the stomach (the stomach folds itself into two pockets, the first tends to escape upwards, can not do it to the pylorus). The treatment ? It is natural and consists of putting the baby on the stomach after feeding, the stomach thus returning to its normal position. This disorder disappears spontaneously at the age of 4 or 5 months.